Kaiser Permanente in the Community
Kaiser Permanente was founded over 70 years ago with a mission to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve. We fulfill that mission by providing coordinated care from our own medical group, and by supporting community health through our non-profit health plan.
As the nation’s largest nonprofit health plan, Kaiser Permanente proudly invests in the total health of our communities through programs such as:
- Health care for the uninsured and underinsured
- Hospitals, health department, and community health center grants
- Nursing, pharmacy, and medical school scholarships
- Educational programs for healthy living
- Support for specific health issues such as mental health
- Support for specific populations such as military veterans
Supporting the Military Community
As part of our commitment to serve the military and their families, Kaiser Permanente has begun a collaboration with The Military Coalition and its 33 military service organizations that advocate for health needs. Our goal is to identify—and help support—the unmet and underserved health needs of the local military community.
Examples of Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to contribute to the health and wellbeing of the military community already include:
- Veteran Empowerment Organization (VEO) – Kaiser Permanente’s Senior Director [of Health Plan Services in Georgia is a member of the board of directors. We supported VEO’s behavioral health program last year with a $50,000 grant. The program’s goal is to provide mental health assessments to over 300 veterans and more intensive counseling for 150 of those veterans. The program also provides veterans with substance use group therapy.
- Additionally, Kaiser Permanente supports community based mental health providers throughout metro Atlanta in the diagnosis and treatment of behavioral health issues. Partners have included, the Atlanta Women’s Foundation. CHRIS 180, Odyssey Family Counseling and many others.
The annual Kaiser Permanente Corporate Run, Walk & Roll is a 5K held each September to promote health and fitness among metro Atlanta companies and their employees. The event attracts more than 10,000 participants. A portion of the proceeds goes to local charities including Fisher House, where military & veterans’ families can stay free of charge, while a loved one is in the hospital.
Kaiser Permanente is the proud sponsor of Veteran’s Day at Zoo Atlanta for veteran, active-duty, retired and reserve members of the U.S. Armed Forces. You can enjoy a day of fun at the zoo on Veteran’s Day with free admission, plus a discount on general admission for accompanying guests.
Kaiser Permanente is committed to hiring military veterans, because we recognize that our U.S. military members are uniquely qualified to enhance our team. In fact, we’ve again been chosen as a Top 10 Military Friendly® Employer.* Learn more about one of the nation’s top-rated workplaces for veterans. external link. You can also hear why our veteran employees and doctors choose to work for us.
*The Military Friendly® Company survey investigates and identifies the organizations whose commitment to serving the military and veteran community is comprehensive in scope and meaningful in terms of actual outcomes and impact. From hiring and career advancement to customer service and charitable investment, 2020 Military Friendly® Companies lead the way.
© 2019 VIQTORY | Military Friendly® is owned and operated by VIQTORY, a service-disabled, veteran-owned small business. | VIQTORY, Military Friendly®, trademarks and logos are not affiliated with nor the property of the Department of Defense or any other federal agency.